Samsung and Apple are by far the two most successful companies in the highly competitive mobile market. These two companies are not only direct competitors in a number of markets, but they are also based on two different philosophies. As a direct consequence, each time a new iPhone or Galaxy S model is officially unveiled, one of the first things we all do, is compare the most recent versions in both lines.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 comes packed with many new features such as facial movement tracker ‘Smart Scroll’ and ‘Smart Pause’ and ‘Air View’ gesture control to name a few. iPhone 5 is no less of a competitor either.
|Specifications||Samsung Galaxy S4||Apple iPhone 5|
|Dimensions||136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9mm, 130g5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 inches, 4.59 oz||123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6mm, 112g4.9 x 2.3 x 0.3 inches, 4 oz|
|Display||5-inch, Super AMOLED1920 x 1080 Full HD, 441ppi||4-inch IPS LCD640 x 1136 pixels, 326 ppi|
|CPU and GPU||International version
|Apple A6dual-core,1300 MHzPowerVR SGX543MP3|
|Storage||16GB/32GB/64GBinternal microSD, up to 64GB||16/32/64 GBNon-expandable|
|Cameras||13 MP Rear; 2 MP Front-Facing1080p Rear; 1080p Front-FacingLED flash, autofocus, burst mode, Shot with Sound, Dual record, Smart Erase||8 MP Rear; 1.2 MP Front-Facing1080p Rear; 720p Front-FacingLED flash, autofocus, HDR, F2.4|
|Battery||2600mAh, removable||1440 mAh, non-removable8h talk time (3G)|
|Networks||GSM, UMTS, HSPA+/LTE||GSM, UMTS, CDMA HSPA+, LTE|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n acWi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot, DLNA, NFC Bluetooth 4.0 A2DP microUSB, MHL 2, infrared A-GPS||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/nWi-Fi hotspot Bluetooth 4.0 A2DP Lightning connector A-GPS|
|Operating system||Android 4.2 TouchWiz UIAir View, Smart Scroll, Smart Pause,S Translate, Knox, S Drive||iOS 6.1|
- Galaxy S4 vs iPhone 5 vs. HTC One: Best Smartphone Screen Battle (gottabemobile.com)
- Post Galaxy S4 era: Apple iPhone 5S specs and features need total revamp (thenewstribe.com)
- Apple iPhone 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3 vs. HTC One X: The cameras (reviews.cnet.com)
- 10 Ways Samsung’s Galaxy S4 Is Better Than The iPhone 5 (AAPL) – San Francisco Chronicle (sfgate.com)
The rumors of next generation iPad and iPhone are already starting to pick up steam. According to the latest report from iLounge, the iPhone 5S is said to enter mass production in July. Notably, the report includes code names and release timeframes.
• The iPad mini, as heavily claimed before, is said to be upgraded with a Retina display by October. This release timeframe would match that of the rumored fifth-generation iPad with iPad mini design elements. The Retina iPad mini is said to be codenamed J85, while the fifth-generation iPad is reportedly known as J72. The new iPad mini is also said to retain the first generation design.
• The iPhone 5S is said to include a faster processor and possibly a new Sony 13 megapixel camera sensor. iLounge previously reported that the iPhone 5S would include an improved rear LED flash. The current iPhone 5S prototypes have N51 and N53 code names, according to the report. An iPhone 5S, as the name implies, would have an identical or similar design to the current iPhone 5.
Separate rumors have already pointed to Apple releasing a new iPhone this year with a design similar to that of the iPhone 5. These other reports have also said that this new iPhone may include a fingerprint scanner. That scanner would likely be based off of the Authentec technology that Apple agreed to acquire last summer. Apple is also rumored to be launching a cheaper, plastic iPhone this year to assist in breaking through to emerging markets.
Since there aren’t officially available specifications for Galaxy S4 we report some possible ones. The Samsung Galaxy S4 specs will include a Exynos 5 Octa processor with eight cores, 2GB of RAM and a PowerVR SGX-544MP3 at 533MHz GPU. This chip set will be faster than the one found in the Nexus 10 and will be made on a 28nm process. The Samsung Exynos 5 Octa is a chip that was announced at CES 2013 on January 10 2013. The Exynos 5 Octa is built on Samsung’s 28nm process (5000X thinner than a human hair) features four ARM Cortex A15 cores (1.7GHz) and four Cortex A7 cores (1.2GHz). Technically, the Samsung Exynos 5 Octa features 8 cores as its name indicates. However, only four cores can be active at any given time.
- 4X ARM Cortex A15 cores at 1.8GHz
- 4X ARM Cortez A7 cores at 1.2GHz
- 28nm Samsung manufacturing process
- Graphics: PowerVR SGX-544MP3 at 533MHz
The Galaxy S4 might also include a 1080p 4.99-inch Super AMOLED display.
Samsung is expected to unveil these new screens at the Consumer Electronics Show set to take place in the beginning of next year.
The company has already begun producing these new displays that have a resolution of 1920 x 1080 with a pixel density of more than 441ppi. This is twice as many pixels as Apple’s Retina display found on the iPhone.
|General||2G Network||GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900|
|3G Network||HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100|
|Announced||Exp. announcement 2013, Q1|
|Status||Rumored Release Date May 2013.|
|Display||Type||Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass 3|
|- TouchWiz UI|
|Sound||Alert types||Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones|
|Memory||Card slot||microSD, up to 64 GB|
|Internal||16 GB storage, 2 GB RAM|
|Speed||HSDPA, 42.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps; LTE, Cat3, 50 Mbps UL, 100 Mbps DL|
|WLAN||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot|
|Bluetooth||Yes, v4.0 with A2DP, EDR|
|USB||Yes, microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB On-the-go|
|Camera||Primary||13 MP, autofocus, LED flash|
|Features||Simultaneous HD video and image recording, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization, HDR|
|Features||OS||Android OS, v4.2 (Jelly Bean)|
|Chipset||Exynos 5 Octa processor with eight cores|
|GPU||PowerVR SGX-544MP3 at 533MHz|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer|
|Browser||HTML5, Adobe Flash|
|GPS||Yes, with A-GPS support and GLONASS|
|Java||Yes, via Java MIDP emulator|
|Colors||Titanium Gray, Sapphire Black|
|- S-Voice natural language commands and dictation|
|- Smart Stay eye tracking|
|- Dropbox (50 GB storage)|
|- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic|
|- TV-out (via MHL A/V link)|
|- SNS integration|
|- MP4/DivX/XviD/WMV/H.264/H.263 player|
|- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC player|
|- Image/video editor|
|- Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)|
|- Google Search, Maps, Gmail,|
|YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa|
|- Voice memo/dial/commands|
|- Predictive text input (Swype)|
|Battery||Standard battery, Li-Ion|
We will continue to update this article with the latest specifications leaks and rumours as they break.
Sorry Apple, you guys have a great device in the iPhone 5 but it’s certainly not the world’s thinnest smartphone. While the 7.6mm thick body sounds incredibly thin and sexy, we’ve already found three Android smartphones that come in thinner.
- Oppo Finder (6.65mm)
- ZTE Athena (6.2mm)
- Huawei Ascend P1 (6.68mm)
We’re going to go out on a limb here and say that there will be thinner devices over the next few months. That said, we’re pretty darn sure that a lot of you would happily add a few millimeters to your phone’s backside if it provided some added talk-time and standby.
Motorola, to their credit, has found a way to marry the two mindsets in the Droid Razr Maxx HD. With a 3300mAh battery and more than one full day of usage promised, the Verizon handset still comes in at an incredibly thin 9.3mm body.
When Samsung introduced S-Voice on its Galaxy S III smartphone, it was clear that it was ripping off Siri, the Apple iPhone 4S’ voice assistant. The world clearly has room for more than one, but how do the two voice assistants stack up when it comes to accuracy and response times?
Siri is the incumbent here, and Apple has heavily advertised it heavily with a stream of celebrities. I’ve never found Siri to be incredibly helpful, but with updates in iOS 6 around the corner, Siri looks more promising. S-Voice is a brand-new creation that is mostly playing catch-up with Siri but has some handy integrations with Facebook and Twitter, while Siri can interact with many functions inside the device itself.
Online phone retailer Dailaphone has created an infographic showing a face-off between Siri and S-Voice with some slightly surprising results, including that Siri takes an average 5.6 seconds to respond while S-Voice takes 7.9 seconds. That said, based on average accuracy, start-up times, and response times, I’d almost rather not use either voice assistant and just find the information with a smart Google search.
Let us know in the comments if you use Siri or S-Voice and how they work for you in your daily life. Check out the full infographic below:
- Voice assistant battle royale: Siri vs. S-Voice (infographic) (venturebeat.com)
- Siri = Eliza? (zdnet.com)
- Siri is rubbish, claims analyst (news.techeye.net)
- IBM bans Siri: Privacy risk, or corporate paranoia at its best? – ZDNet (blog) (zdnet.com)
- Study gives Apple’s Siri a ‘D’ for accuracy (techradar.com)
- One-third of Siri users don’t make it beyond calls, web use and texts (mobile-ent.biz)
- Siri Still Behind Google Search On Comprehension & Accuracy (devicemag.com)
- Here’s Why Google Now Is Better Than Apple’s Siri (GOOG) (businessinsider.com)
- Wait, So Apple’s Siri Won’t Kill Google Search After All? (forbes.com)
- Google Voice Search In Android 4.1 Trumps Siri In Everyday Q&A (redmondpie.com)
Samsung’s first teaser containing the countdown has ended and bring in a new teaser video. There are two videos that are presented to welcome the unpacked event to be held May 3 the next. In the event, Samsung is expected to showcase the next Galaxy.Teaser time is also still contains mysteries. Only mention of a new universe, ‘A Whole New Universe’. No additional information can be obtained even though the video is displayed will invite curiosity. In this teaser were also asked about the technology that is considered really smart, which according to Samsung must correspond to one’s life naturally. These features are thought to be indicative of eye tracking, wireless charger, or other functions on the Galaxy S III.
Asked in a second teaser of the Galaxy is mentioned that fits perfectly in hand, the larger the display, and can be explored freely and quickly. In the final part noted that this technology will make a person stand on top of another, symbolized by a flock of sheep.
- isheep (nvarsos.wordpress.com)
- Samsung begins countdown to Galaxy S3, anagram a start to an online treasure hunt? (nvarsos.wordpress.com)
isheep = A follower of the Apple cult regardless of the usefulness or real worth of the product. Believes with without question the cult propaganda which installs the almost mythological belief that what they have just bought is the fastest or most user friendly product ever, only to be re-sold the same product, with a few minor tweaks, a few months later with the same rhetoric and complete disregard for reality. Easily mislead by their own egos and think they are being unique and innovative.
- More Than Half Of All Households In America Now Own An Apple Device | Cult of Mac (cultofmac.vanillaforums.com)
- The Cult of Apple (churchofpossibility.com)
- Apple cult mocked by Samsung in Galaxy S II ad (news.cnet.com)
- It’s Time to Stop Talking About the Apple Cult (techland.time.com)
- Apple is Becoming a Patents Cult (techrights.org)